Course Description: Advanced Theology is a 2 credit class; as such, it has 26 lectures (each 35-45 minutes in length). Advanced Theology is designed to take a summary look at the major doctrines of the Bible, and the theological systems used by various Christian groups around the world. So many conflicts arise in the church because believers from one Christian background don’t understand the distinctive beliefs of those from another background. Too often these conflicts result in argumentation which leads to isolation from other Christians. The result is that the universal Church remains divided and yet the believers attending the various assemblies are supposed to all be members of the same universal Body of Christ. Advanced Theology is designed to address the theological differences between Christian groups with the goal that it can hopefully enable more unified cooperation between believers from differing backgrounds. There will be points that people from different groups cannot agree. There are also many areas where they share common beliefs.
- To allow the graduating seniors the opportunity to think through each of the ten major areas of doctrine that they have been taught in their PBC program; the goal of this is to reacquaint students with the various opinions held on each subject so that they can then formulate their own personal belief on each point.
- To show how the beliefs about certain doctrines affect current trends or ideas present in the world and church today; this is to help prepare each student as to how they should respond to these issues as they encounter them in the future.
- To acquaint the seniors with the belief systems used by other Christians from various groups and denominations; this is to help the students understand the cause for distinctions between the various Christian groups, and enable them, in the future, to relate to people in various groups with a greater sense of understanding and charity. As future leaders, the students should be able to better support and cooperate with other segments of the church.
- Lectures 1-11: Areas of Doctrine
- Lectures 12-14: Role of the Theologian
- Lectures 15-26: System of Theology
Instructor: Lanny Hubbard
Portland Bible College is an educational ministry of Mannahouse (formerly City Bible Church) committed to the formation of Servant-Leaders for local churches and societies throughout the world. PBC has a reputation for not only training your mind, but also speaking to your spirit. Now these courses, which have helped thousands of pastors, church staff, marketplace leaders and committed believers achieve greater success in their churches, ministries and personal lives; is available to people anywhere in the world. This course can be offered for college credit by visiting www.portlandbiblecollege.org/apply-now
Copyrights: All courses are the intellectual property of Portland Bible College. Any copying or public presentation of part or all of the courses without express written permission from Portland Bible College is a violation of federal law. Curriculum developed by Portland Bible College is not ‘for sale,’ but available for use under different licensing options; Extension Campus, Affiliate Program, Group License and Individual License. Each license allows for different usage permissions and periods of time. Churches/Programs that no longer partner with PBC do not retain usage rights to the lectures, PowerPoint or additional curriculum.
Group use: This is the individual licensed curriculum for this course. : If you are interested in facilitating this course for a group, there are group licensing options available. The group license differs from the individual license in that it permits you to present this course publicly as well as provides additional resources including a syllabus and assignment templates. Group License costs are the individual license fee + the very affordable price of $10 per student. If you are interested in facilitating this course for a group, please contact the PBC offices by phone at 503.255.3540 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your cart is empty